reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Saturday, May 21, 2011

We learned to be so graceful, watching wild horses running.....


It was a special moment.
I was walking toward Harrison, Arkansas, after leaving Cotter, Arkansas. As I walk I take pictures of things that are interesting. Ive taken a zillion horse pics, and after a while that gets tiring so I don’t stop as frequently, especially of the horses are in the distance. As I worked my way towards Harrison, I passed a rolling hill with a group of horses on the top of the rise, grazing. I just kept walking, listening to my music on the mp3 player.
I heard a loud sound---the sound of a horses whinny, over the din in my ears. I spun around, and saw 5 or six horses, the same ones who were grazing, running full tilt down the hill, just as if they were racing. They eve looked at each other to see where the others were in their little contest. I grabbed my camera and turned it on but by the time I did, it was too late, and they had reached the top of the hill on the other side of the pasture that they were in.
They stood there, looking down at me. I yelled, half joking, to them to do that again so I could get a photo. Five seconds later they broke into the second leg of their race, back in the same direction that they had just come from. Full tilt again. I snapped a shot and began yelling like a racing fan, “Go boys, go!!!”
I heard laughing. I turned around. Three guys working at a Truss company were staring at me like I was a nut.
A nut who had just gotten, by request, his own private horse race from some of the most magnificent creatures I had ever seen.
A fun time was had by all.

2 comments:

  1. Masterpiece of a moment. Great shot and words. By the way, you probably gave those "trussers" more than welcomed, unexpected and lasting smiles for their week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on Ex amino! Good story Jim. There is a lovely lullaby song called "Pretty Little Horses".

    ReplyDelete