reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Friday, May 13, 2011

A Sonic Boom.....


Call it “the Sonic at the end of the world.”
Ever been to a Sonic? I hadn’t, until the other day.
Oh, I’d seen them, looking like some throwbacks to the old A&W drive-ins of my youth. I have great and clear memories of one A&W in Malone, New York, where the waitress would come to the car with a tray, and it would somehow magically hang on the driver’s window. I remember the rubber coated nubs that balanced the tray against the glass and wondered what would happen if they wore out….
I have not seen an A&W in years but lately Sonics have popped up all over the place. Including out in the middle of nowhere, aka Bono, Arkansas.
I rolled into Bono (pronounced like Sonny, not the U2 singer) the other day, tired, hungry and in search of wifi. A clerk at a gas station in Jonesboro had mentioned that the Sonic in Bono had wifi, or so he thought, so I made it my goal to get there by nightfall. I saw the sign for the place long before I saw the town itself. Standing tall against the endless horizon, it beckoned me with wifi and burgers, not necessarily in that order. Tired and hungry, I wheeled my way into the parking lot and up onto an area in the front with a lot of tables. My plan was to go inside, sit and eat a meal and get online. But, the clerk was wrong at the gas station. No wifi, and none for miles.
Having never been to a Sonic, I didn’t know how to order food since I wasn’t in a car, but a woman in a vehicle told me that there were signs with menus and I needed to walk over to one and push a button and I could order through there. This I did. A nice young lady name Victoria brought my food out and began to ask me questions about my cart, and what I was doing. We had a nice chat and shortly after she disappeared back inside the manager came out and presented me with some bottles of water for my trip. I gratefully accepted, finished my Sonic Burger, a great sandwich by the way, and headed out of town.
I don’t do justice here to the kind and really caring atmosphere that pervaded that little restaurant in Bono, but the entire time I was there, employees were buzzing around, stopping to talk t me, and were extremely interested and concerned for my welfare. Its nice to see a place where that happens.
So to the kind staff at the Sonic on the edge of the world, in Bono, Arkansas, I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment