reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Monday, May 2, 2011

James and Jerry Talley have a birthday party...and look who came!


James and Jerry Talley share a birthday. Born a year apart, James, 60, and Jerry, 61, live outside Walnut, Mississippi, and every year they get together on birthday for a huge family celebration. Also included in the party are the birthdays of several other family members whose birthdays all are within several days of the brothers. Apparently, Labor Day weekend is a big “get busy” time for the Talley family….
It was this year’s version of the party, with dozens of people sitting at a big table under a carport, with food cooking, kids playing, and a general air of just nice people having a nice time on a Sunday afternoon, that I happened to roll past on my way to Walnut, still 8 miles away. Headphones on, boppin’ along to Neil Young, that I noticed a short, slightly burly man approaching me. I took off my headphones and heard him say, “You’re welcome to join us for some food and drinks,” and I gladly accepted.
I introduced myself and he did the same and told me the story about the party. There was indeed a lot of food, including fried chicken, all kinds of salads and such, Mountain Dew, cookies, cakes, and more. I got to meet a man named Larry Ross, who is running for Tax Collector, a thankless job if ever there was one, and other family members. They all welcomed me as if I was a member of the family myself, which is somewhat the norm rather than the exception here, it seems. Say what you will about the south, the people here are, by and large, gregarious and warm, and generous when they can be, and sometimes even when they can’t be. Ironically, I have passed many very well appointed houses and properties, and have waved or spoken to a lot of folks who seem well off but it is usually the rank and file John Q. Citizen who is most generous and outgoing. The love of the common people indeed…..

9 comments:

  1. Vive le proletariat, eh?!
    Many of the Mammoth locals are in fact from Southern CA and neighbouring Bishop and June score higher. Nonetheless it is friendlier that London - outside London is very different. Country folk always friendlier than city folk. I can't get over the extremes of how you are received from loving to downright antagonistic. Can't help but notice that it is churches and christians that had open doors and arms (I am not religious either but went to Anglican schools - there is religious instruction in England)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SF, I just wanted to make an entry on this story and tell U how much cooked food is like a magnet when walking across America.

    I was invited into a FEW homes as I walked across America but I wasn't pushing an interesting courious buggy which I can see will stear up the couriousity and creates invitations to hear your purpose. It magnifies your accomplishments.

    Somehow U look like a good conversation piece that speaks with a lot of common sense with little jewels in your words but my blabber can be obnogtious because most people are in religion and the truth is more than they want to try to handle.

    Keep those rubies and diamonds shining. A little Windex can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both Tess and Caleb. I have nothing against churches--they always do good things and the people who attned are usually kind and have the right mind about it. In my world, the basis for it all isnt real, but that is where the word "faith" comes in. If you belive in something, it is as good as real, until you actually have to show it, which isnt happening. Then agian, it doesnt matter, as long as the "Golden rule--do unto others..." is followed,. That is just plain humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sore Foot, I posted a long response to U but it said my response was not sent to U.

    U have no idea how much time I just wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont know why it wouldnt. Write it again. Maybe it was too long? If it was worth saying once....lol. Dont get upset. Time is all we have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SF, I had this to happen to me on the AOL Q&A site and I had to send my responses in short responses which sometime took many entries.

    Besides, U can live without what I had to say to U.

    When I get in the mood, I may send U small pieces of comments at a time.

    I'm drinking some 211 high gravity now and I do not want to interupte myself and talk to much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SF, here I am again.

    I like Ur web site because everyone is giving kind words to each other instead of arguing.

    I can make a lot of comments that would strike up a lot of arguments like striking a match to a stick of dynomite but it would only interferr with a VERY good cause.

    Can U see that my point of view is very irritating? It is the same as Christ and He was crucified for His big mouth similar to mine.

    I can take a licking but I keep on ticking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you C. I appreciate your words and wisdom and encouragement. As long as a discussion stays a discussion, there are no problems., That is why we have brains and logic. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much my friend for sharing this fun photos from James and Jerry Talley. It looks like a big hit. I am also going to throw a party on my dad’s 50th birthday at the local event venue in LA and I’ll definitely invite his old friends from his college time. It will be a big surprise for him.

    ReplyDelete