reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Friday, May 6, 2011

Stuck Outside of Memphis...(Apologies to Dylan)

Here is the rough version of a conversation that took place last night at about 6 PM, between me and a security guard at a fancy mall/plaza in Germantown, TN, just outside of Memphis:
I had been in a Wendy’s in the plaza. Wendy’s usually has wifi, and lousy food. This one had the lousy food but no wifi. I was receiving a signal, weak but connectable, from a shop somewhere outside. I finished typing up a blog piece and when I tried to upload it it would not go through. I decided to find the shop with the wifi and get it uploaded quickly there. I located the shop, a cafĂ© that was closed, and sat in the shade of the pillars near the sidewalk. I literally had not been there for more than 60 seconds when a truck pulled up in front of me. I kept typing and working on getting the piece uploaded. Two feet in boots appeared at my feet. I looked up. A young, gung ho type security guard was standing there.
“How are you doing sir?”
“Fine. How are you?”
“Do you have business here in the plaza sir?”
“Yes, I was eating dinner at Wendys right there (pointing) and the wifi signal was weak from this shop so I am just uploading something that I wrote. I am a writer. Is there a problem?”
“People here are afraid of you.”
“Afraid of me? Ive been sitting here less than a minute, How could anyone be afraid of me in 60 seconds?”
“Well, you’re pushing that cart there.”
“Well, I am just uploading a piece I wrote and Ill be done in a moment. “
“Please go across the street, sir.”

At this point I had managed to send my piece to the blog and post the link on Facebook. I was done.
A woman emerged from a shop, I think a jewelry shop, a couple of doors down. She was attractive in that plastic “too much makeup and the face will break if a smile appears on it” way. I noticed a silent look between the two if them and knew who had called.
I said aloud, if someone had worries about me, they could have been adult enough to ask me politely about what I was doing. I then asked the guard how much he knew about civil rights, and he said he knew about them. I told him that he was violating mine at that very moment, since I was in a place I legally could be, I was a patron of the restaurant less than 50 feet away, and if I had been in a car instead of on foot we would not even be having the conversation. I packed up and left.
I went to a gas station down the street a bit. I purchased a couple of sodas for the road and was outside drinking one when a Germantown police cruiser pulled up. A young officer got out and approached me. He asked me about the incident with the security guard, and I told him the same thing written above.I showed him a card I had received from a Collierville officer named Major Fussell earlier that day, after he had stopped me to check me out. He did not know Officer Fussell, but we had a nice talk and he explained that it was an affluent area and that the more money the people seemed to have the more afraid of their own shadows they were. I joked that if it was an affluent area, then he as a cop must not live there. He laughed and we commiserated a bit about the greedy and arrogant rich (not all) and how the drivers were so awful. He is a jogger and told me he had been nearly hit several times by distracted drivers. I asked him for advice on where to sleep and he inferred some locations that he couldn’t legally tell me to go to because they were privately owned. I thanked him and went to one, where I set up my air mattress and sleeping bag, under clear star filled skies, in the flight lanes for Memphis Airport, where I watched the planes coming in and veering off towards the runways. It was a beautiful night.
At 12:58 AM the raindrops hit my face. So much for the beautiful night.
I pulled my big tarpaulin off the cart and just splayed it over everything. I was too tired to do much else. I got wet, but my belongings, especially the electric stuff and my books, stayed dry. Could have been worse. As could my night. Just another day on the road. Today, I try to make it to Arkansas, if the flooded Mississippi lets me pass….

4 comments:

  1. If you get to Hot Springs in your passing through Arkansas, keep and eye open for the Martyrs MC. If you happen upon them and come across their Sergeant At Arms, a man by the name of Red, send my regards. Tell him you're a friend of mine- he may be able to point you to a place to rest if you're at that point in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SF, If U do go through Hot Springs, U will see a very interesting City with beautiful water fountains along the side walk of the main street. Do not drink the water, as tempting as it will appear.It is 'HOT'.

    Am I right Modge Podge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SoG, I am not a resident nor have I had the pleasure of visiting just yet, but I've heard the stories of silly tourists. Nobody really likes the taste of s.a. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. SF, good luck going across the Mississippi river bridge into West Memphis, Ar.

    I suggest that U walk across a night as I did because they do not allow people to walk across the bridge but they do not patrol much at night time.

    I made it all the way across without any problems.

    It will take U hours to get to West Memphis from Memphis, Tn. but an interesting scene when U see the river below and realize how large it is.

    ReplyDelete