reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The State of Misery....


This is a state that I think I want to get out of. While my time in Branson was a blast, and the two people I met there, Cricket Heaton and Terri Pribeck, are beautiful people who I will remain in touch with, the rest of the state has left this experience a bit, shall we say, lacking. It’s not the fault of the state, which is lovely by any standards. Really lovely. I walked through the Mark Twain National Forest today and it was beautiful, although the serpentine roads have left my knees in tatters. I came in to Missouri in a truck due to tornadoes and had to accept a short ride out of the forest today when the lack of shoulders on the sides of the road and the heavy traffic almost got me clobbered. By a cop, no less. A family of 4 in a pickup came along shortly after and basically talked me into living a longer life. In between the ride in to Missouri and today, there have been tornadoes, flooding and more is expected tonight. I am going to head to Joplin tomorrow or Thursday, to see the damage for myself, but also because by some coincidence my route is taking me through there anyway. I am not—I repeat, NOT—setting these disasters up in advance. Really, I swear.
Tonight the forecast is for more heavy storms and yes, even a tornado is possible, and maybe Joplin won’t exist after this. I hope they are okay there.
As for me, Im stealing wifi from a hospital and its about to rain so I am outta here. And in a few days out of this sad and beautiful state of Misery…I mean Missouri.
PS--The photo is where I slept last night, after a full day of walking along mountaintops with heavy and continuous lighting and rain.

2 comments:

  1. Relieved and grateful to know you had "coverage and protection above," amidst those torrential rains. The pics of Mo. were excellent!
    Thank you again for your words along the way.
    By any chance, did you stop in for B'fast at Nan's shop in Cape Fair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I had breakfast at Mom's Mercantile, a nice little place run by a woman named Linda Mapes and Mark Jackson. Shde had a guitar sitting there and while she and he made my eggs I serenaded them with my genius guitar stylings, lol.

    ReplyDelete