reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Monday, May 9, 2011

$@&%#ing Mosquitoes

I don’t know if there is a precedent for a mammal teaching something to an amphibian (Donald Trump’s college education notwithstanding) but if it can happen, it needs to happen now.
Here in Marked Tree, Arkansas, post storms, the mosquitoes have taken over. As seemingly every acre of land had standing water on it, and the river that winds through this very pretty little town is high, and brown and dank, the clouds of mosquitoes are dense as fog and at a plague level.
I know. I camped next to it last night. I thought my tinnitus was bad? The soundtrack to my evening was a buzzing that didn’t stop, even in my sleep. Recommended: Coleman non-DEET bug spray. Worked a miracle last night.
Nature is supposed to work this way: there is a reason for everything. If that is true, then someone please tell me the reason for mosquitoes. The only reason I can think of is that they keep the frogs fed. Now, if that is true, then why are there a gajillion mosquitoes still buzzing around my head?? There simply are not enough frogs. We need more frogs, and we need them NOW. So what to do?
An old Woody Guthrie story that he used to tell his son Arlo…..
Two rabbits, a boy rabbit and a girl rabbit, were foraging around in the forest for clover and stuff to eat. In the distance they heard the faint barking of hound dogs, and became a little bit alarmed, but continued foraging. As the barking got closer they began to get more concerned and looked for a safe place to hide. Just as the pack of dogs was upon them, they ducked into a hollow log, and the dogs surrounded them on both ends, but could not get in.
“What are we going to do?” cried the girl bunny…”There is no escape for us.”
The boy bunny smiled and winked at her. “It’s okay”, he said. We’ll just stay here until we outnumber ‘em.”
Attention frogs! We have a bumper crop of mosquitoes this year! Learn from the bunnies. GET BUSY!

9 comments:

  1. SF, every time I try to make a long comment to U, Ur web site refuses to allow it to be posted.

    I will attempt to send it in small comments and see if it will go through.

    There is a notice at the bottom of this trial entry that says 'Required field must not be blank'. Well, I have never left any required field blank particularly if it is full of mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SF, well they accepted that useless comment. Here I go again.

    I told U that I reminded you of the mosquitoes in my comment of May 7th, 2011.

    There is a NORTH-SOUTH mosquito belt from Montanna through Louisiana which is thicker than the other states.

    I have slept with them in corn fields, sugar cane fields, saw grass and on Ponchatrain peninula before arriving in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part 2
    Your journey reminds me of my Friend Jesus when He suffered for the poor and suffering.

    Jesus taught the 'true disciples' how to suffer for the 'suffering' as the disciples did in the book of Acts. Religious people will make U suffer by not honoring Ur purpose of suffering but just talk as if they do and dribble drabble a few cents to U.

    The religious people refuse to suffer for anyone for any reason.

    The religions teach FALSE doctrines that they do not need to suffer because they claim Jesus did it all for them.

    They can give U a thousand excuses not to follow the example of Christ.

    I will stop there this time and hope it goes to U.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part 3
    Well, it went through.

    I sent a small donation to WHY.ORG as mentioned in my letter in my March comment.

    I sent $1,000.00 this month to Children International for a community center in Honduras and $800.00 to them for 8 children whose entire family lives on $50.00 or less each month which is probably less than any religious person that is following U.

    Jesus commands His 'true disciples' in Matthew 5:16 "Let your light shine before men in such a way they may see your GOOD WORKS, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

    I see Ur light Jim Abbott (Sore Foot)but the blind can not see it except through their entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part 4
    WOW, it went through.

    Did my comments light a stick of dynamite or what?

    Let's see how loud it explodes.

    By the way, some of them fish with dynamite in Arkansas. So I am just fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: I love those mosquitoes. They show us how to suffer for the 'SUFFERING'.

    The End of this comment.
    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey sorefoot --
    You need a fly swatter. Or netting. On the other hand, once you've mastered the mosquitos of Alabama, you will be ready for your next trek - north to Alaska, where the mosquito has been dubbed 'the state bird'.
    Anyway, been thinking about you. How's it going? I hope you're also enjoying the experience and the people you've been meeting.

    -Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL> The Coleman DEET free spray works wonders. Not a bite!!!
    And for Caleb--Im not out to prove how tough I am or how much I can endure, just wanting to do a good thing and have some fun....

    ReplyDelete
  9. SF, Ur purpose is a good thing and we R having fun with U.

    I'm not tough either, I just know how to take pain. Jesus taught me how to do that.

    Most people have no idea how fun pain can be unless they try it with a good purpose with practice with patience and persistance.

    Thanks for bringing up that subject.

    ReplyDelete