reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Arkansas....This place is brutal.

Marked Tree, AR- Im only about 35 miles into Arkansas, home of Bill Clinton and the Arkansas Traveller, and I must admit, this state has already kicked my butt. The flooding, epic in scope, is so widespread and pervasive that it sometimes feels like I am walking past a waterfront, albeit one with mosquitoes that wont quit. The elevation has not deviated more than a few feet at best and the roads seem to be as straight as a ruler.
About the flooding: it is everywhere. Since most of this land that I have passed is farmland, it is flat, vast and wide. At times seems like the surface of the moon, and is never ending. Finding a place to even sit and rest is almost impossible. There are no trees on dry land so far and the bugs are thick as thieves.
I slept rough last night, May 7. Behind a truck stop, in a field shared with rats, mice and mystery critters of all sizes. I KNOW I saw something big run across my line of sight….
Today, Mother’s Day, I am sick, or tired, or both. I have walked only 15 miles, but have had to stop and lie down near the road, a busy four lane, and not one person has stopped to inquire if I am ok. Im not sure I am. My heart is palpitating, I am doing all I can to write this, and I have this general feeling of wanting this to be over, but I know I must go on. Short post here because I just don’t have the juice to write, or walk another step.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Mister Jim. Take the hint perhaps, and rest up as best-you-can. You have our support
    here.

    ReplyDelete