reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Emmitt, my new best friend


Its about the funniest thing Ive ever heard.
I was sitting in the Ennenga’s living room. Typing away on a blog piece, early in the morning. I thought that Steve’s wife, Shannon, was gone to work. Steve was still in bed.
Shannon’s voice, to me: Good morning.
I look up. No Shannon. I see the source of the voice. I laugh.
Later, I hear the phone ring, and I hear Steve’s voice answer. Hello. Uh huh…okay, good, man. Okay, man. Uh huh. Okay, man, Talk to you later, man, Alright man. Bye. Bye.
Beeep, and the phone goes off.
Then I hear laughing, chuckling, and more phone conversation, definitely Steve’s voice, and the chuckling, a whistle, a “come here, you” command, and more talk, followed by knocking sounds and a few words I couldn’t make out. I heard the dogs barking and a stern reprimand from Steve for the dog to be quiet. Except…….
No sign of Steve. No sign of Shannon. Steve was indeed sleeping. Shannon was indeed at school, where she works. It was just me, and my new little buddy, Emmitt, their African Gray parrot, whose gift of mimicry is,in a word, priceless.

4 comments:

  1. My grandmother had a budgerigar during the 2nd World War and when he heard the air-raid sirens go off and everyone bustle to get to the shelter, he would ask "Have you got your gas mask?" over and over again. One of my preferred bedtime stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tess, I can only assume that if U R married U should wear a gas mask at bedtime.

    Use a cheap cigarette lighter and Ur eyes will stop burning and Ur preferred bedtime is less irritating.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL> I understand what he is talking about. Dont fan the sheets!!!! Abjd Do keep comments onhere friendly!

    ReplyDelete