reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Monday, June 27, 2011

Rocky Mountains...sigh.....



Of all of the states that I was planning to pass through on my extended little vacation, Colorado was the most exciting prospect. There were many reasons, but there was one in particular, stemming from an incident that took place a time long ago, going back to my somewhat difficult childhood.
My parents divorced when I was only about 11 years old. Their fights were legendary, and loud. There was one particular incident that comes to mind that really had a big effect on my life. It was a weekend, I think, and they were having one of their awful shouting matches, maybe there was glass breaking, and so on. Our neighbors, the Million family, two adults and two boys that I played football and wiffle ball with all the time, were going to go to a concert at Saratoga Performing Arts Center. They were getting ready to leave, and they heard the fighting going on at my house. I was outside sitting by myself, and they saw and heard all of the ruckus, and made a snap decision. I don’t remember all of the finer details of how I ended up in their car on my way to a John Denver concert, but there I was. The Millions had seats inside the amphitheater, but I had to sit outside on the lawn, where I ended up next to a family that had a really big picnic basket full of fried chicken, which rthey shared freely and gladly.
Now, John Denver was just becoming a huge star at this time, and still had his country boy schtick going on. He talked of life in Colorado, sang songs like Rocky Mountain High, and was generally the goodwill ambassador for the state, a role he carried out well, and effectively. It was one song in particular though, that really got through to me that night on the lawn: Eagle and the Hawk. After talking about the beauty of the mountains and the life that flourished there, he launched into the song, not one of his major hits but a powerful (and loud) song that rang out from the big speakers outside at Saratoga. I was sure that he could be heard for miles that night, and the memory of sitting there on a blanket, hearing the words “I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky” has burned itself into my psyche.
I am among those rocky cathedrals now. I am staying with Greg and Bette Mathisen at their home in Conifer, Colorado---a beautiful little place where the ugliness of the world cannot easily reach and where I think I might want to live someday.
When Bette picked me up in LaJunta yesterday for the two and a half hour ride to her house, I was still in the midst of cowboy heaven, with prairies, feedyards, cows and their attendant smells, Mexican restaurants galore and flat, dry and hot as hell terrain to cross. Driving up the mountains, it all began to sink in. And when we stopped at a rest area, and Bette showed me a map that had a little star on it, labeled “You are Here”, I breathed in the mountain air and it started to dawn on me where I was.
And then a few hours later, when we were leaving to go to dinner at a place called the Bucksnort Tavern, and a massive elk casually sauntered, fearless, into Bette’s yard, then I knew EXACTLY where I was: Colorado, baby. Colorado.

8 comments:

  1. SF, I have camped in the same camp in the mountains as John Denver camped in before he died. It is a mile or so from Camptonville, Calf. on the willow creek.

    I could write a book about my gold mining experience there.

    I showed his friends how to set up a camp correctly instead of making it look like a garbage dump.

    John Denver lived his songs in his real life. He truly loved living in the mountains.

    By the way, some people get upset with me when I talk to U on Ur blog. I only speak of the subject from my point of view based on Ur subjects. Well, we've been pounded on for about 2,000 years.

    If people only knew who I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SF, all will know who I am some day based on my Father's terms and timing, not mine.

    My Father is the one that hooked U and I up on the second day of Ur journey. Only physically, U already know me.

    Ur followers couldn't handle who I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you the ghost of Tony Randall?

    ReplyDelete
  4. asonofgod : i think UR nuts! LOL

    Jim : this is a wonderful story of passion, pain and nostalgia peppered with hope... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW Jim, this pic of you with horsey is the first one of you where I can actually see the blue-eyed little boy in your family albums. Like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SF, don't let Ur curiosity about me spoil Ur trip, YET.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A touching piece above Mr. Jim, and an inspirational song too.

    "...Share in the freedom I feel when I fly ~
    Come dance with the west wind and touch on the mountain tops,
    Sail o'er the canyons and up to the stars
    and reach for the heavens and hope for the future,
    ... All that we can be and not what we are."

    http://youtu.be/_ArnbiHx6hk

    ReplyDelete