reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Saturday, July 2, 2011

In a cabin, on a mountain, with a hungry mule deer




After being spoiled rotten by the Mathisen's and the Ennenga’s for a total of four days, I decided that I wanted to spend a night in Steven Ennenga’s cabin in the woods outside Canon City, Colorado. When I say outside, I mean outside. Down a long paved road, up a dirt road, onto a barely-a-road road, move the post and the wire, go a little further, unlock the lock, drop the cable, and then up the barely-a- trail trail to the cabin. The hill is so steep that when I stepped out of the truck, I landed on a rock or a pine cone, which then rolled away and tossed me down onto a small barrel cactus, which left thorns in my left arm which are burning as I write this. Poor Steve, with a very badly hurt back, could only blindly call out from the truck, asking if I was okay.
Steve pointed out the location of certain items, and made sure I could get the generator running. I would need this for lights, microwave and to charge my phone and camera. We had both forgotten to get gas, however, and while there was a bit of fuel still in the generator, I didnt want to use it all up. I’ve never used one before and don’t know how long a tank lasts.
So, as night fell, I commenced to worrying. Was I going to be afraid of the total darkness? Or maybe the critters that might just want to dine on my flesh? I remembered a warning that Steve had given me about camping with food. Never leave it where a bear might get it. I had bought some ears of corn, which I ate uncooked and then tossed the ears away, about 50 feet from the cabin. After unpacking my junk inside, to sort through it to decide that to keep and what to leave at the cabin, I stepped outside, just in time to see not a bear but a beautiful female mule deer going to town on the corn remnants. I just watched her for a minute. Then I took a shot at moving closer. As I stepped towards her, she ran away, stopping about a hundred feet from me, partially hidden by trees and brush. This is when a moment of magic happened, as it has been since the beginning of this adventure. I softly called to the deer, telling her it was okay, that I only wanted to look at her. And she came back. She walked slowly, but confidently back to the corn and recommenced eating what was left. I stood watching, and taking a few photos, and it was a special moment for me. Then, almost as suddenly as she came, she left. She later returned, took a pee, and ran off again. I saw her once more, a little later as she bustled through the brush off to wherever mule deer go.
The night was cool and peaceful, up on the mountain. Steve has made the cabin very homey, and while it is still a work in progress, it’s a great place to relax once the jitters about being alone in the woods go away.
I got to see a beautiful sunset, with the red sun disappearing behind the Sangre de Cristo (Blood of Christ)Mountains. The morning came quickly, no animals ate me up, and before I knew it I was trying to navigate my cart, and myself, down the barely-a- trail trail and the barely-a-road road. I replaced the cable, locked the lock, moved the fence and wire back to their original position, and headed off down the road, with another nice memory firmly in place.

1 comment:

  1. SF, I have eaten a lot of corn that I gleaned from fields along the sides of the roads around the country.

    God gives mankind permission to glean the outside edges of fields in the OLD LAW.

    I ate the tender 6 inch corns because I could eat the very tender cob along with the corn.

    Being hungry is fun when U find some food that is delicious. Corn on the cob is delicious.

    Alphalfa ain't bad. I have eaten a few live crickets like John the Baptist ate locust. Ain't delicious but it beats nothing.

    ReplyDelete