reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Camp Amache




As a country the United States has done a lot that we can be very proud of. Amache, Colorado (among other places like it) is not one of them.
At one time, for about three years, Amache was the tenth largest city in the state of Colorado. There and then, in the early 1940’s, there were 7,500 people, crammed into a single square mile, surrounded by barbed wire, as prisoners. Their crimes? That’s the funny thing—they weren’t criminals. They were American citizens, of Japanese ancestry. And they had done nothing wrong.
One of the most egregious mistakes that this country has ever made happened during World War II when President Roosevelt ordered the eviction from their homes and subsequent internment of approximately 110,000 Japanese-American citizens living on the West Coast of the United States. These citizens, approximately two thirds of whom were BORN here, were hustled off, thrown into hastily built camps that were no better than POW camps, and were generally treated like evildoers. All because of their heritage. Over 110,000 were placed in ten locations throughout the midwest and the west coast. The most famous of these is Manzinar, but the others are just as shameful by their very existence. The numbers varied for each location, and the smallest of these populations, 7500, were sent to Camp Amache, in Granada, Colorado.
Im not here to tell the whole story of the internment camps, though. They are written about pretty thoroughly. I am here to tell you about a small but very nice little museum in Granada that does a good job of presenting the facts as they were, with displays, photos, artifacts and more. I passed by today as I was walking through town. A group of young people were painting the building, sprucing it up, I suppose, and it looked nice. I saw the sign, crudely painted, outside (I hope they will replace it with a nicer sign that does the museum and the town justice) and headed in to see what it was about. I had never heard of Camp Amache, and was delighted to see that someone had set up a fitting tribute to the place and to the people whose lives were stolen out from under them all those years ago because of the stupid paranoia that war brings.
There were informational displays and literature. A scale model of the camp with its buildings and setting occupied a large table. Art that the internees made was on display, as were some of the US military(!) uniforms that some of them had worn during the war. Traditional Japanese garb, photos and other memorabilia were also on display. The museum is free, but donations are gladly accepted. Again, it is not a big museum, but it is an important one and Im glad I stumbled across it on my journey.
For more information, there is a website that will fill you in on the more intricate details and let you sign up for a newsletter. It’s important to NOT forget that this nonsense happened. A country is only great when they can own up to their mistakes, as America has done. And this was one of them.

5 comments:

  1. SF, did you know that God said that ANYONE that swears or takes an OATH of ANYKIND is of the EVIL ONE in Matthew 5:34-37 and James 5:12?

    Do U know of ANY government official that does not take an OATH?

    They R in the Middle East killing people now based on a bald faced lie told by Bush saying they had weapons of destruction and then lied and said 'MISSION ACCOMPLISHED' and they R still killing them for years after 'MISSION ACCOMPLISHED'.

    The CIA and Scott Ritter and his crew went over there and told Bush that they didn't have any weapons of destruction but his killers went over there anyway and started killing them and each other by 'FRIENDLY FIRE' and some of them killed themselves. They love killing people that don't think like them. Freedom don't mean nothing to them. Killing is their answer to every thing and they get called 'HEROES' for their phony reward.

    The fancy words such as 'honor', 'elite', 'heroes', 'valiant' and many other words will keep them killing human beings instead of 4giving them as God requires all men to do. God says that if U do not 4give others, He will NOT 4GIVE U. Killing people is not 4given them.

    If anyone that takes an OATH reads this, U will hear their explosion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear C. GOSA,
    Begging your pardon here, but would you ever so mind turning "it" down, a notch or two?
    Really, Dear man ~ I do believe you ought to have your very own blog. This particular blog is for a noble cause as well,
    AND,
    It's true intent, (In my humble opinion) is not for "others" to personally proselytize upon.

    Please think about this, and if you DO create a blog of your own, i will surely begin to read it. Thank you.

    In addition, I'm a true Savannah-ian. So, please don't think for a moment, I don't know where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ex animo, I can only assume that since U know I am in Savannah, U know I have fed over 50,000 meals on Franklin Sq. to the poor and suffering without Ur help. I now feed over 500 meals a week around the world without Ur help.

    I deliver my message to others without listening to those that think they are greater than God and can tell me how to do His works that I am assigned to do. Jesus was persecuted and so am I, so enjoy Urself.

    My comment was in response to what Jim was saying about the ones that locked up innocent people. I do not need anyone's permission to respond to Jim about the government that he was talking about.

    I will be blocked as Christ is blocked from the eyes of hypocrites when Jim is ready to block me unless SF allows the truth to be commented on. So, let Jim do his job, not U.

    HYPOCRITES CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH.

    See if U can handle my blog on http://groups.google.com/group/feed-the-poor/web/compassion ?????

    U will need to use yahoo search or type it into Ur email site and click on it from there. Other searches can't find my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim isnt blocking anyone. Ex animo is right though, sir, in that this isnt the place for the heavy duty rhetoric. I write these pieces. They are meant to be read, enjoyed and talked about. When the comments are more controversial than the pieces they are supposed to pertain to...well, it defeats my purpose of entertaining you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SF, U R a lot of fun, no matter what U do.

    I understand Y I am being chewed out some times.

    I have been persecuted so long that I am use to it.

    Here, would U like a piece of gum?

    ReplyDelete