reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Friday, June 17, 2011

Ghosts in the Wind....?



I must categorically state that I don’t believe in ghosts.
That said, this is what happened the other day after leaving Dodge City.
I was walking westward, about 7 miles or so from Dodge. Rolling fields, low, full of a khaki colored dry grass, were on my right. As I was walking, listening to music, I looked to my right and, in the distance across the fields saw a stagecoach type vehicle, hazy in the heat and dust, with a woman sitting in it, in period clothing from the late 1800s or so. It was travelling, pulled by horses. There were actually several of them but this one was clear. And then, in an instant, they just weren’t there, and I stopped, turned off my music and just stared at the spot where I saw them. The wind was blowing, no cars were around, the train was not running to my left. It was silent, and I was alone.
A bit confused, but thinking maybe I had seen some sort of re-enactment or something—Dodge City was full of them---I walked on. About two miles later I encountered a big sign announcing that there was an historical marker located up a hill to my right, where the Santa Fe Trail ruts could still be seen. I was not aware of this previously and headed up the hill. Out in the field, several plaques stood. I walked to them, on a sidewalk especially built for the purpose, and read.
The Santa Fe Trail was a 900 mile “road” that settlers travelled from New Mexico to Dodge City for over 40 years back in the mid to late 19th century. There were no roads so they rode their coaches and horses across the land, and the ground became rutted and worn in the course of the years. It was a hard trip and these people, men and women and children , were tough.
As I walked back to a gazebo on the edge of the field, I was, all of a sudden and without warning, hit by a most powerful wave of emotions and began to cry, loudly and for no reason explainable. Was it my own exhaustion? Was it from some unseen forces? I don’t know, and will likely never understand exactly. But I do not believe in ghosts. I don’t.

2 comments:

  1. I happen to believe in genetic, cellular memory.
    Thank you. Intellectual reasoning and grey matter potential, gives us all the grace... to keep on going. (Darwin) What you saw and even felt, was probably a version of cellular "Netflix." Awesome, Mr. Jim.

    ReplyDelete