reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Sunday, June 5, 2011

TimKatHan


Ive met a lot of people on the road. Ive been inspired by a lot of them as well.
Case in point: TimKatHan.
Actually, they are Tim Johnson, Katherine (Kat) Riley Smith and SeokGyu Han, three students from Flint, Michigan who I met in the Hilltop Rest area in Beaumont, Kansas. They are riding to San Francisco and Portland, Oregon from Flint, where they got hooked up with a couple of charities. Im not sure of how they collect their funds (I suspect pledges or donations ahead of time) but half of what they collect goes for their trip funding, a quarter goes to World Vision and a quarter goes to Edible Flint, a local charity.
They average somewhere around 50 to 60 miles a day, according to Tim, who I spoke with more than the others. They hit the road fairly late each morning and just keep going. Unlike myself, they have been invited into many homes to sleep or grab a shower. Three well groomed young people on expensive bikes (700 bucks a pop) is a little less threatening than a grizzled guy pushing a cart/stroller, I guess.
They also have learned a few tricks—like sleeping in cemeteries when one is available. Usually quiet, usually desolate. As an early riser myself, I like to be on the road before anyone is about, but the trio seem to take their time getting going, and I would not want to be in a tent in a cemetery when someone comes to pay their respects to their grandmother.
I departed the rest area early. I got five miles in before they came riding up behind me. We all posed for pictures (Han had a tripod and camera) and then we parted ways again. I had just dined at a small café and recommended it to them. They had lunch, and I got another three miles in before they passed me for the final time. I hope to hear from them again. Han is flying back to Seoul (he is an exchange student) after he arrives on the west coast, but Tim and Kat will still be stateside.
Tim told me privately that I was a real inspiration to them. Funny, I was just about to tell them the same thing.
Ride safe, people, and keep on doing good works. Karma, karma ,karma.

No comments:

Post a Comment