reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Friday, July 29, 2011

A Madness to their Meth? Odd...

I spent three days in Lodi, California. It seemed like three weeks. Three awful weeks. I was sick, probably with food poisoning.
I met a lot of people while I was sick, which was an odd experience because I spent most of my time in the room, staring at my eyelids. Not once did I turn the television on. I did cross the street to the gas station a few times, and my presence at the motel was duly noted by a certain group of people who happened to see my comings and goings. My scruffy appearance ( I do look pretty rough at this point, I must say) probably prompted one of them to talk to me.
“You need anything?”
Me: “Like?”
“Crank”
Me: “Hell no.”
Okay.
Me: “Wait, can I ask you a question?”
I proceeded to tell the individual of my walk, my writing project, and asked for permission to sit in while he and his little circle did their thing in another room in the same motel. He said to go to my room and he would let me know. I went to my room and waited. For a while day and half I waited, sick and wondering if the question had been either dismissed or not remembered. Then came a knock on the door. nI opened it and there stood “Eric”, and he just said, “You still wanna hang out with us? It’s okay but no pictures and you cant use our real names.” I agreed and got up, following him all of a hundred feet.
We entered the room that he and his girlfriend/wife Amy lived in a temporary situation . It was set up oddly and there was a second small room where Amy’s little boy, Ryan, slept. That’s right, her 3 year old little adorable boy.
“Do you want some?” he asked me. I politely but firmly declined his offer. He already knew I wasn’t interested in any of what he was offering me—crystal meth, or crank, as it is sometimes called. Theb scourge of the country, and maybe the world eventually.
Crystal methamphetamine is a very strange drug for anyone to even contemplate taking into their body, since, as Eric confirmed my research, it is made in part with hydrochloric acid and other very noxious chemicals, and when it is inhaled, I can’t imagine that it doesn’t eat away at some part of your body. It is a very, very dangerous drug, and has been invading the east coast in recent years, and because it is cheaper and longer lasting, it will eventually overtake crack as the biggest and baddest drug out there. While fairly new to the east coast, as I said, it has been pervasive on the west coast for decades.
So while I sat on a kitchen chair, in a motel room type kitchen area, away from the fumes, Eric and Amy smoked their meth. I still could smell a chemical odor but it wasn’t too disturbing. I wasn’t aware that they had made a phone call for a delivery of more, and when the dealer showed up, Eric told me to turn around and to not look at him. It was a bit nerve-wracking, and I heard the dealer ask who I was, and the response was , “He’s cool.”
As they did their thing, we talked. I was a bit surprised at how normal they were. I asked if they ever tried to quit. Eric said that he did not care to stop, but Amy said that she had stopped for a while but was so hooked on it now that if she went cold turkey she would go into a coma for two days, and she couldn’t let Eric take responsibility for Ryan, who was fathered by someone else. They both said that they did not take the drug for fun, but just to feel normal and to be able to function. They both smoke it every day, not in large quantities but enough to maintain that “normal” feeling. What a life, eh?
I was concerned about something, or someone---Ryan. An absolutely adorable child, he appears to be as normal as can be, but being raised in a motel situation with crank smoking parents isn’t the usual, and when I asked about how they could do that with him present, they actually looked guilty and I thought that maybe I had crossed a line that might get me in a situation.
And then, as if to prove my point, little Ryan came out of his room and said he wanted to watch TV. Amy didn’t even try to hide her activity, and Eric didn’t say anything. I tried to distract the little guy, but I was a stranger to him and he didn’t respond.
As a former teacher, I was a “mandated reporter.” That means that if I see any case of child abuse, I am required by law to report it to the proper authorities. As a writer, though, it is a moral code violation to disclose sources. The child looked to be healthy, though, and that fact caused me to wait a couple of days before making that call this morning. Now that I am safely out of Lodi, I won’t have to look over my shoulder.
I have no idea of this was a typical example of this nonsense. I did hear more people talking about meth publicly than I hear on the east coast. The meth heads I’ve seen in Georgia look pretty bad usually, but not all do. Here, Eric, Amy and the few of their friends that came in and out seemed like normal people. Ironically it was my appearance that prompted Eric to ask me if I was in need. If I ran into either of them on the street, I wouldn’t be able to tell. Eventually, though, that insidious crap eats away at skin and bone and the results are exactly what you would expect.
I am including this piece because, as I said, it is something that I saw on my journey, even if I did seek it out due to being sick and bored in a motel room. Not every story is a pleasant one. This is one of them. I wish all parties well, but I was careful not to give them my blog info or any real location information, to be safe.

7 comments:

  1. In living in street peoples clothing, U get to know about the reality of people more than those pretending to know God.

    When I was in the Serria mountains, I met a group of people that meet ever year to work the North fork of the Yuma river for gold next to where I parked my motor home.

    They stayed awake for 3 full days setting up a camp to accommadate those that were coming later, without ANY sleep for 72 or more hours. I learned from Hollywood, a guy that I knew, that they were on CRACK or ICE cocaine which I had never heard of at that time.

    The doctors that get good salaries get MANY people hooked on narcotics and they keep coming back to them for prescriptions at about an average of $65.00 per prescription plus the cost of the drug to the pharmacy. Cocaine seems to be cheaper so they transfer to street narcotics so they can get more. Then the doctor has to get more hooked on his drugs so he can pay for his better drugs. The smarter U R, the crazier and more corrupt U R. Ain't money fun for a while?

    I know a man in Buffalo, N.Y. that was very wealthy until his doctor satisfied his glee and now he lives on the streets in Bison memorial park in the center of town. Ain't money fun for a while?

    As I said before, according to CNN news in 2008, over 8,000 doctors R in rehab today. They can't seem to get enough FREE samples to take home with them from the drug manufacturers.

    Micheal Jackson, Elvis Presley, Britney Spears, Amy Winehouse, Willy Nelson, George Jones and, do U want to know about a hundred more names, were fortunate enough to get enough dope to put them in hell early. Does this mean GOOD BYE to ASONOFGOD?

    I do not judge anybody, I only tell U as Christ did, how our Father judged them.

    I do not speak to judge people but only to tell them how they R judged now. God is omnipitus and all knowing about where U R going to end up.

    I need help on my spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pity that poor couple and can identify all too well with the concept of trying to fit in a square peg in a round hole and to 'feel normal' whatever that be (not an error, subjunctive tense!). Knowing that you are not quite like other people is disturbing, especially for younger folk. I took amphetamines (diet pills in those days)for a few months and suddenly I could talk and communicate. What a revelation, no shyness at all. Alcohol was my main mind altering 'drug' of choice and it really helped except you have to keep increasing the dose to get the same effect. Now I am sober 13 years and am at last accepting myself and liking myself AS I AM. I am OK - a square peg, perhaps, a little bit mad, definitely. That is part of my undeniable charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SF, I am going back to a blog of yours dated July 14, 2011.

    I am going to use the comment space because no one else did and it want be taking up space.

    This comment will be about the WORST illegal drug event that I have ever experienced. I am doing this for your possible book. You have my permission to use the mentioned comment.

    SO CLICK ON to 'Mormanland'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SF, I noticed on the right hand side under FACEBOOK that you mentioned 'the Golden Gate'.

    Most like it, U R on highway 101 called the Pacific highway going south.

    U may not see the lower part of the bridge because it is very often covered with thick fog. The upper structures usually appear above the thick fog. It is a BEAUTIFUL unexpected site, with or without the fog.

    There are walk ways on the sides so U can take your cart with U. Don't go to fast, they may give U a speeding ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: Send all of your surplus money to WHY.ORG when you get to a Western Union and let us know how much it was. Even the amount they report was mailed to them from your 'cause' trip.

    A Good Walk NOT Wasted

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS,PS: SF, If I am satisfied on the amount, I can make the trip again for the hungry that are provided for by WHY.ORG on a different route than U did. U have all the donations on that route but there are other routes.

    U R in your 50s and I walked across the U.S. in my 60s but since I doubt that those your age or younger will even bother to put their EFFORTS into the cause of the hungry for WHY.ORG, I can do it in my 70s if I am satisfied at how much I may be able to get donated for them.

    How much R U asking for your USED cart when U return to Georgia? How many more trips do U think it will make across America? I do not need your provisions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im leaving my cart where it can do some good.

    ReplyDelete