reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Amy and Glen.....




Two entertainers made the news these past two weeks. Bad news on both fronts...
When I heard of the death of Amy Winehouse, I was not surprised. Her chosen lifestyle almost always has a bad ending of some sort, and hers was a “worst possible situation” thing.
A talented singer is gone, another in a long line. Someone’s daughter, lover, friend, pop idol, and a drug addict. And a human being. She was a terrible role model, didn’t seem to care, and didn’t try hard enough to kick her addictions. In the end it does not matter. She is gone—another wasted life.
But it was the news of a different musician this week that upset me more.
For those people of a certain age—mine---Glen Campbell was a big part of the soundtrack of your lives especially in the late sixties and seventies. He wrote and /or performed such classic songs as Wichita Lineman, By the Time I Get to Phoenix, Rhinestone Cowboy, and, arguably the greatest of all songs, John Hartford’s Gentle on My Mind. Early in his career he was a member of the Beach Boys, playing bass on the road gigs. Ironically, it was not the bass he excelled at, but the guitar. He was an incredible plaer, about as good as anyone I’ve ever heard. I even saw him do a duet with Roy Clark once---on the same guitar, at the same time. Showoff-ish. Of course. Difficult to do? Absolutely.
After the hits dried up, Glen got into the drug scene himself for a little while, almost ruining his reputation. Booze remained a problem for years, including a DUI arrest several years ago that produced a classic mug shot that caused Glen to become a household name for different reasons. But that eventually faded away as well. And so did Glen Campbell. Last year he released his first album in too many years, featuring his clear and still pretty voice on songs by Greenday and Velvet Underground, among others. It was a fine album and I thought that the future was looking pretty good for old Glen. Then last week the news came out that he has Alzheimers. Talk about fading away… I guess we can only hope that Glen Campbell can get through that awful affliction with a minimal amount of hardship for both him, and for his family. He was a giant for a while, and though his mind is going to leave him soon, his music is timeless, and we were lucky to have had him. He is still planning to continue his career, and will be releasing what he calls his final studio album later this year, and a farewell tour to go with it.
It's knowing that your door is always open and your path is free to walk, says the
song. I wanna see Glen Campbell AND Amy Winehouse waving from the backroads by the rivers of all our memories.
Goodbye, Amy, and hang tough, Mr. Campbell.

7 comments:

  1. The only thing I can think of about this blog is, I saw Glen in the colisium in Jackson, Ms. many years ago and about 2 weeks later I saw another famous singer that sings 'King of the road', Roger Miller, in the same colisium.

    Roger was so drunk on stage that he finished his 2 hour performance in about 15 minutes.

    Now if that ain't smart, there ain't no smart. He gave himself a 700% raise per hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad news for certain Mr. Jim, and thanks for taking the time for a respectful write about both these extremely talented individuals.

    After losing a several people close to us these last few years, what comes to mind are the words of a mentor who has supported many, as well as myself in their realization of heartbreaking loss:

    A spiritual mentor and friend, Lyn Prashant has said,

    "Grief is one of THE most available untapped, emotional resources for personal transformation.
    We don't just get over our grief. Instead, we change our relationship to it. When we lose something or someone, [and that identification must change]~
    WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO REBUILD OURSELVES. There's an ongoing phase of transformation that truly can be realized and embraced."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I know you to be self-deprecating to the point of fishing for compliments, you are an incredibly talented writer. Straight from the heart or so it reads. (As a once-upon-a-time writer I do realise that a certain amount of thought also goes into it.) You can stir up all the emotions: fear in the previous post; sadness with a certain acceptance in this one; humour in them all. Don't waste your talent or the rest of your life. You are great and you CAN make a difference.

    I have Alzheimers in my family. My grandmother and great uncle ... my mother died of cancer before she could go down that route, my sister also. Both way too young. I hope the big C gets me before I part company with my mind. (Some would claim it is already too late!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just realized how you got those good pictures.

    You got them from your little bitty computer.

    I ain't smart but if I felt better, I would be in heaven right now. I love being stupid. It leaves me room to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Caleb--you are smarter than you want us to believe. C'mon, would God let his son be stupid?
    I got the pictures from Google. If you type in a person, or anything's name, and then click on images, it will search for pictures. You can then save the picture onto your computer and do what you need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SF, thanks for telling me that but I do not have a way to print the photos because I do not have a printer. I had rather put my money into the poor and suffering of the world than a printer.

    Have you ever read the Holy Bible? If not, let me tell you about me being stupid in the eyes of man but my knowledge is of the 'MYSTERIES OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD'.

    You may not be able to understand the following verse but I understand it without ANY problem.

    1st Corinthians 3:19-20 says: For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God. For it is written, " He is the one who catches the wise in their craftiness"; and again, " THE LORD KNOWS THE REASONING OF THE WISE, THAT THEY ARE USELESS."

    That is one reason Y God tells the wise that puts their money into 'CRAFTED' TEMPLES, that He 'DOES NOT LIVE IN CRAFTED TEMPLES made by hands of man' in Acts 7:47-48 and 17:24, and other verses.

    Christ NEVER said ANYTHING good about them but entered them to teach their members that they are only murders and ROBBER'S DENS by stealing the money that Christ required them to FEED THE CREATED TEMPLES that are HUNGRY and stop starving them to death with a (CRAFTED temple) or 'meer copy' as described in the Holy Bible. my personal definition of them is 'COUNTERFEIT' copies.

    I realize that is not believable to U because you do not know God, YET. If He chooses U, U will know Him. Their is a CONDITION to know Him and it is OBEYING His Son (John 3:36). I advise U to use the NASB version of the Holy Bible which is translated correctly in that verse. Many R not.

    If you really want to know if my Bible wording is TRUE, then go to section 952 of the next public library and most of the time they have the NASB version unless it has been checked out.

    To answer Ur question that one of your members MAY want to chew me out for doing, is: God will let me be stupid in 'the ways of the world'.

    I love U and every member U have but someday my Father will show ya'll 'WHAT FOR'.

    THANKS FOR BRING UP THE 'SUBJECT'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS: Take these verses to a RELIGIOUS LEADER and he will convince U that God used His words 'OUT OF CONTEXT' in those verses.

    So take him a hundred dollar bill and he will tell U what every U want God to say but will not waste Ur time reading the 'CORRECT CONTEXT' from the inspired word of God.

    He will convince U that his words are MUCH BETTER than God's words.

    There should be an ATM some where U can get a hundred dollar bill from.

    RELIGIOUS LEADERS LOVE CASH.

    ReplyDelete