reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Monday, April 11, 2011

Update, and yadda yadda...healed up and ready to gimp along.....


Ill be back out on the road on Wednesday, April 13, 2011. I’ve had a few days to let the feet heal once again (Those heels!) and have acquired a few pairs of much better socks, which seem to have been the cause of my bad blisters. Instead of cotton, which were always damp or wet, and were not keeping my feet dry at all, I now have some really good ones made of 60 pct acrylic, 20 pct wool, 19 pct nylon and 1 pct spandex. Ive been wearing them around a bit as I keep limber and they seem to be the right match for me.
When I hit the road this time there will be no turning back. My biggest mistake was putting a time frame on arriving in San Francisco, because I wanted to arrive on the anniversary of Harry Chapin’s passing, July 16, 30 years ago. This is not going to happen now, but I will try to get there by sometime in August.
I want to address something stupid here, because recently some silliness was going on here. The internet is such a wonderful tool and resource. Ive been lucky to have such a nice bunch of people supporting me and reading my blog and facebook posts and have made such nice comments. The other day following my last post, some jerk using the name TellItLikeItIs, or something like that, left a very negative and insulting and libelous comment, and it upset members of my family very much, to the point where I had to delete it. When I tried to look at that jerk’s profile, there was no info available, so I deleted it. Later another similar comment from someone using the name Alfred was also a blank profile, and it was deleted also. I am pretty sure I know who wrote them both, but no matter. I will say this: if someone has something to say, negative or positive, please be an adult and identify yourself. You know who I am, so let’s keep the playing field level. Let me know who you are. Or, consider this: you DON’T come to a battle of wits unarmed. I don’t mind constructive criticism, but libelous nonsense about me keeping money given to me for WhyHunger is libelous and I will take action. Oh, wait, maybe that’s why the anonymity...the last refuge of a COWARD in the digital age.
To reiterate: If someone wants to donate to WhyHunger.org, simply go to the website and donate. You can enter my name in the box “in honor of” and put my name in there, for purposes of letting them know how effective I am in soliciting donations. I’ve received 3 personal donations thus far, for a total of 35 bucks and will be sending that along to WhyHunger shortly.
Anyway, onward. Im about 4 or 5 walking days from Alabama and from there its Westward HO! Ihave about 200 miles under my belt, or shoes, and 2600 more to go. Ive had time to analyze what works and what doesn’t. I’ll adjust as I go, and this is going to be GREAT! So thank you again for all your support and good advice and wishes.

4 comments:

  1. Remember the tale of the hare and the tortoise. Pace yourself! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Lowell George sang....feets don't fail me now!!!! Good luck Jim!!!! I know you can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lowell also sang, "Im willin'" and I AM. Thank you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir 'SORE FOOT', UR feet will continue to hurt but sooner than U know, U will forget what pain is.

    After a couple of months of walking your attention will change to the journey, not your pain because U cannot stop pain so do not stop the journey.

    Remember to concentrate on PATIENCE**PRACTICE**PERSISTENCE but 'not' "PAIN".

    ReplyDelete