reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Friday, April 29, 2011

Mississippi....................not just a river.......


Forty eight years ago Phil Ochs, the greatest of our protest singers, wrote a song called “Here’s to the State of Mississippi” in which he pretty much excoriated every single person and aspect and institution of the state, which at the time had the worst civil rights violations record in the country, and was known for a blatantly racist law enforcement division, and more. “Behind their broken badges they are murderers and more…,” Ochs said.
The chorus is unforgettable. “Here’s to the land you’ve torn out the heart of. ..Mississippi find yourself another country to be part of. “
Ive never been to Mississippi, but that song has always stuck in my head whenever I hear the name. So, you can bet that as I entered Mississippi today at around 2:00 pm, I was singing a hearty chorus of something….
So now, it begins. Will Mississippi prove to me that it has changed since Ochs penned his vitriolic tune? I had read or heard somewhere that Mississippi at one time in recent years had advanced so far into the present that there were more black office holders than any other state in the union. Whether this is still true I do not know but obviously lessons were learned and times did indeed change. Now I want to see it for myself.
Alabama was a surprise to me. The people were lovely, almost to a person. I think I met one or two jerks, namely that rent a cop in Walnut Grove and the woman who clipped my cart with her car on purpose in Gadsden, but by and large everyone, even suspect looking people, turned out to be wonderful and as generous as they could be with food, cash on occasion, and offers of showers, supplies and more. The police everywhere have been terrific (the real ones anyway) and have asked appropriate questions and even helped me find safe places to set up my tent, as happened last night in Cherokee, where I not only camped between the fire and rescue building and the police department, but was offered pizza and Pepsi as well, which was delicious.
My main gripe so far, and not one that will be addressed, is the roads. I know they are meant for cars, not strollers pushed by burly guys, but at times the shoulders are so bad, or non existent, that it makes life sheer hell. But that’s part of the adventure,
So far, I have only travelled about 7 miles into Mississippi. I have not seen much and have not spoken to anyone except a couple who were taking their picture by the Welcome to Mississippi sign, where they kindly took my photo as well. They were driving across the country and hope to visit 20 states by the time they are done.
Every step I take from here on out is a step further west than I have ever been before. Pigeon Forge Tennessee was my old landmark and now every step is an extension. Im happy you all (y’all) are enjoying the stories I tell you. Ill try to keep them as enjoyable and thought provoking as I can.

6 comments:

  1. Sore Foot, I was born in Mississippi and I was NEVER pregadist to anyone and I still love all of the ones that God loves.

    U R very interesting in sharing with us Ur point of view. A lot of others have never left their county let alone their state and your insight will open their eyes to the world around them.

    Yes, Mississippi has changed their concept but all states have their pregadist people.

    One of the reasons they changed in Mississippi was so they could get some good football and basketball players in their colleges. It worked.

    Ms. is full of guitar and fiddle players. Check um out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Modge Podge, welcome to the crew that follows Jim Abbott across the U.S. for a great cause.

    I noticed in Ur profile that U asked the following question:
    If you could have dinner with ANYONE (dead or alive) to talk about ANYTHING (yes really) who would it be?

    My answer to U is:
    Jesus Christ, sometimes called Justus in Greek, Joshua in Hebrew and other names such as Messiah, Immanuel, All and about 118 other references to him in the Holy Bible.

    Would He bore U?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Modge Podge is good peeps! I know her! kinda...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sore Foot, I agree with you about not being involved in religions but maybe someday Jesus will open His door to you and maybe you will consider walking in.

    Jesus calls the crafted temples that religions meet in, a ROBBERS DEN, and they are.

    I have asked thousands of so called church members to tell me a verse where Jesus said anything good about any religion, religious leader or crafted temples and most of them never respond but a few give me nothing but their phony reasonings, logics, opinions or fake interpretations but not a single verse.

    Religions are nothing but opinions and the southern baptist convention said that there is 15,000 religions on earth and 1,000 call themselves 'Christians' which is nothing but a sheepskin over a wolf.

    Over 70,000 religions have melted but they keep on opening new ones. All of them think theirs is the perfect one but the other 14,999 needs to polish up some more.

    I'll let you go back to your journey. Sorry if I bored you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SF, I do not know if you know what people call me in the world but I am called a 'WALKER-TALKER' because I also walk my talk.

    Religions are only 'talkers' but do not walk their talk but by using their sheepskin they convince each other that 'SLOTH' is O.K. Sloth is only one of the 7 deadly sins and SLOTH means 'LAZINESS'.

    Lazy people will not do what U R doing which means U R UN-SLOTH. So U have one of the deadly sins in Ur favor. I'll help U work on the other 6.

    Lust
    Gluttony
    Sloth
    Envy
    Anger
    Greed
    And PRIDE which is the deadliest of the 7 deadly sins.

    One down and 6 to go.

    ReplyDelete