reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Friday, April 29, 2011

Last thoughts on tornadoes, damn them....


Yesterday, as I walked away from the tornado ravaged area that I had spent a pair of nights in, sometimes scared, sometimes in awe of the power of nature, it was one of the most beautiful days I have yet experienced on the road. The temperature was cool and very comfortable, the highway west towards Mississippi was as good as any I have been on---good shoulder, smooth rolling, and my feet finally stopped being two objects I wanted to ….well, here is a gallows humor joke I made up just for them----“My feet told me they wanted me to amputate them, but I told them to take a hike”----okay, not the greatest joke but a pretty good one…
I looked at the sky, and the rolling and puffy cumulus clouds were pretty and looking like clouds are supposed to look, and I tried to make sense of things, like the fact that the day before, those same beautiful skies had delivered destruction and death to this place, killing over 200 people and wiping out a small town called Phil Campbell, less than 25 miles from where I was staying. The only thing left was, ironically, the police station, according to locals. Now, with nothing to police, what will they do?
Ive seen a feature on CBS, on TV, where someone will take a globe or a map and randomly put their finger down on a spot, and then will go to that place and do a story. Tornadoes are nature’s powerful finger,down at random from the skies, and the story they do is never a happy one. And nowhere is safe. Atlanta Georgia got hit a few years ago, as did Brooklyn, NY, and other cities as well occasionally feel the power. Burt usually it seems to be rural spots where there are a lot of mobile homes ( a tornado’s favorite target, they say, is a trailer park, as if the folks living in them need anymore grief….). I think the insurance companies are in cahoots with the tornadoes…trailers are less expensive to replace…
But seriously, I was lucky to be safe, though without tv or internet to know what was going on for a long time, and when it was all over yesterday morning, April 28, I went to the McDonalds across from where I Was at, and saw something that really drove it home for me---a family---young man, his wife, and their small daughter were sitting at a booth with their breakfast burritos, or whatever, and the man was on his cell phone. His face slowly turned red, and his chest began to heave slowly, and tears rolled down his face and he began to sob audibly. He handed the phone to his wife and she listened and began to cry as well, and it was very uncomfortable to see. Their daughter asked them what was wrong, and I heard the mother say, “Mawmaw and pawpaw got killed in the tornado, honey.”
They were from the tiny and now extinct town of Phil Campbell.
Whatever powers that be, call it god, call it nature…is there any reason for this? Any reason at all???

2 comments:

  1. Nope, no reason that I know of for sure- At all. EXCEPT, maybe for the fact that we living beings here possess a seemingly magical will and instinct to keep on living and evolving in OH, so many, many amazing ways. Even in the worst of times. Please keep sharing your words and experiences. You MAY just be adding to someone's much needed evolutionary advancement, One step at a time! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ex animo, I like the way U capitalized the word 'One' because it reminds me of a song that says "One step at a time, sweet Jesus".

    Only One step at a time is Patience on God's terms and timing.

    Those that never ask 'WHY' will know 'WHY' when they get where they are going, One step at a time.

    ReplyDelete