reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The deal with Cookie Monster, and Facebook...


The deal with Cookie Monster is this; I found the little guy back in Georgia, just sitting there abandoned on the side of the road. I was gonna leave him but something reminded me that since Tom Hanks had to draw a face on a volleyball in Castaway, and here I was with a pal woth eyes and a big mouth already in pace, I wasl already ahead of the game compared to old Tom, so I kept Cookie Monster. (I confess, I thought he was Ernie, until a child called him Cookie Monster at a gas station. “Of course I knew that”…heh heh.
So I brought him along for the ride. I decided that to make it fun, and not just a dopey muppet with a broken arm, I would pose him along the way for photos, and I have. Some of the pix include dead critters, sure, but others are nice involve flowers, and even posing as if he was in high society. Its just a fun thing to do and I hope you all enjoy the pix on the blog and on my facebook page. The link to that is:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1128666472
and it is open to all. Don’t need to be my friend. The reason I don’t post all my pix on the blog is that it takes too long since I have to do them one at a time. Facebook is really a great tool and I try to use it responsibly and for the purpose it was created, as a social network, and not a hub for gossip and other crap, as has happened in the past.
I don’t label many of the photos that I post on Facebook. I am travelling with a mini laptop, and sadly my eyesight isn’t what it used to be, and it takes a long time to go through them all. I take pics of things I see that look pretty and interesting. Sometimes they aren’t. The digital camera is a truly revolutionary tool though, even the cheap one I am using. My good camera never materialized in my stocking last Christmas so its this one or nothing. It seems to do a good job and I hope my eye and sense of framibg and all of the technical jargon are making this an enjoyable experience for you all. If you enjoy is as much as my feet hurt, you are having a GREAT time with it all. I will keep going as much as I can each day and I will finish this or almost die trying.
Please, also consider that I am doing this for a charity so please, if you have not donated to Whyhunger.org, you still can. They don’t turn off any internet at midnight, so you can donate early, late and often. I don’t see how much you donate, and unless I ask, I don’t know who donated in my name. When they do tell me, it is simply a last name, or a list of them, with a total amount after—no individual amounts. (You can be cheap and I won’t know it! ) Again though, it is a great and worthy cause and as I have travelled through some pretty poor places so far, I see a lot of fat people who don’t look like they will live to be another year older, and bad nutrition is almost as bad as no nutrition, so we have a lot of work to do.
Anyway, I will go as long as I can, and maybe when this is over will adapt it to book form, or something. It is a blast, even though the pain is at times excruciating and spirit breaking, but then I get a little sleep and the next day usually feel much better and ready to go. Once my feet toughen a bit more I will have fewer complaints inthat department, Im sure, My two years of training were perfect and physical endurance is not an issue at all, just my human feet.
Next step…..and another…and before you know it….San Francisco!!!!
One last Cookie Monster story: I passed a house a few days ago, in rural Alabama. On the front porch swing were all of the Sesame Street crew, except Cookie Monster and Kermit. I looked at the swing full of stuffed little guys, and I looked at Cookie Monster. I looked back at the swing and said to him: “You wanna go hang out with your family?”
A truck passed by just as he uttered his response. I wasn’t sure but I think he said, “No, I wanna go for the ride with you.” Actually, I KNOW he said that. And the journey continues…….

2 comments:

  1. Sore Foot, I have a desease like U have. It is called 'BLABBER MOUTH' but yours is more interesting than mine.

    If U need any money to hand out to some children like the one at the $.05 wishing well, let us know and we will see if WHY.ORG will accept it from us in N.Y. City and transfer it to U in some way. Maybe by Western Union to a city or town that is on your route. They can keep 20% percent of each $100.00 to cover their overhead.

    Just a suggestion that maybe some of Ur followers can do also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, this is only a test comment. A few minutes ago, I attempted to make a comment on the Feb. 15, 2011 blog from Press Release from Why Hunger but the blogger informed me that it wouldn't go through so I assumed that others has attempted to post on that blog but no comments are showing.

    Let me try this one.

    Well, this blog is working.

    ReplyDelete