reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Small world.....

Small world stuff here:
Two or three days ago, in McDonalds, in Savannah, a woman came in to eat and use the wifi. With only one electrical outlet in the place, and it being used my me for all my little gadgets, she was going to be out of luck. I was almost finished, however, and offered her its use. She accepted and sat down as I finished up. We talked about my journey and a bit about her life and story—a writer and interfaith minister from New Mexico—she was staying in some kind of boarding situation and was unable to offer me a place to set up my tent for the night. We spoke a bit more and then parted, with me getting her name for the purposed of adding her to my Facebook friends list, which I did the next morning. Later I saw that she had accepted my friend request and she noted that she saw my alma mater listed as New Paltz, where coincidently, her uncle and his wife lived. She wondered if I knew them. I did indeed know her uncle, a professor of mine in college back in 1980, and sadly also knew about her other uncle, the professor’s brother who went berserk that year and killed someone in a terrible manner, and who was later himself shot down by police during a gun battle that left two state police wounded but alive.
What is as much a tragedy as those old family wounds is the fact that all these years later my new friend was worried that my memories of her educator uncle was a bad one and that it would reflect on her. Have no worries, if you are reading this.
Another small world item of a more personal nature: Also in Savannah, and directly on my route---the longtime residence of someone very near and dear to me, a friend now. Pics were taken and sent, and I am sure appreciated.
Next stop: Hell

1 comment:

  1. It is a small world. When Americans learn that I am English they always have a friend somewhere in England that they believe I might know... not yet!

    ReplyDelete