reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day One....ouch

So a day in, I am sore, tired and more determined than ever. I spent the night in my sleeping bag under the cool Savannah sky, odd little leaves from a tree filled with Spanish Moss falling on my head and making sharp popping sounds when they hit the tarp that I had thrown down first. I was in the secret back yard of a house that seemed to be empty, but I couldn’t tell. I was advised that the neighborhood was not the best place to set up a tent, so I decided to just open-air it, in case I needed to make a quick exit. No worries, and maybe the combination of windy rustling, a few dogs barking here and there, and, other than cars occasionally driving by, no sign of human beings, made for a relatively calm night. I slept about 5 or 6 hours, mostly good sleep, with a few exceptions when the little leaves, very hard leaves, popped on the tarp next to me. Really loud in the quiet night…
I think I covered about 20 or 21 miles. I didn’t follow my directions exactly from the beginning, but all roads out of Tybee Island, a peninsula as much as an island, are the same road, really, so I had no choice.
I overdid it, to be sure, the first day. My left foot felt last night like it might have sustained a stress fracture, and my right one has some kind of mass, like a blister, deep inside the area immediately behind the toes in the middle, very very painful and making each step a nail in the foot experience. Im glad there doesn’t appear to be a blister on the surface, but this is too painful to do much walking today, Day two. Ill try though, because I put an unrealistic goal in front of me---100 days, allowing up to 120 max. Even that seems today to be a dream but I am tough and determined.
On the down side because of the vast nothingness of this part of Georgia, I didnt get to really promote my cause to too many people. But, I have time, and will work in in as I can.
I am so sore.

1 comment:

  1. Chief 'SORE FOOT', I decided to back up a day and start walking with U.

    By the way, I sometimes use the username of WALKINGLASS, so if U ever see his entries on any blog, that be me.

    I can't stop Ur pain but I can share it.

    ReplyDelete