reflections of a walking man

reflections of a walking man

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The aftermath....

So, a few days later, and I am in Mammoth Lakes again. Resting as I journey back to the east coast, and the sunny climes of Tampa. The pain and swelling in my foot have not gone away and I finally had to do something that I never do without a bit of coercion---I went to seek medical attention at the E.R. There, the nice staff of Mammoth Hospital checked me out, a bit skeptical at first of a guy who claimed to have walked across the country--but who were convinced by a tough line of questioning and my answers.
X-rays revealed my foot to be broken--a small fracture, nothing too major, and with a bit of Advil and not putting too much weight on it I should be fine. The swelling will go away, and I'll be ready to do some other crazy stunt in the near future.
There remains the physical exhaustion. I do declare: the Greyhound bus service that I have railed about previously...is worse than ever. Leaving San Francisco, the bus broke down in Oakland, and we had to wait for 90 minutes for a replacement, only to be doubled up due to Oakland passengers being added to the mix. It was a nightmarish and uncomfortable 6 hour ride to Reno.
I missed my first bus--missed, they say, because my cart and luggage were not checked in properly, and while I stood there with my checked in tags in my hand, the driver turned on his heel, entered the bus and closed the door in my face, leaving me standing there, and prompting the security guard on duty to shake his head and exclaim, "Man, that was f--ked up."
Even that didnt bother me as much as the apparent disdain that the service has for their bread and butter, which is to say, their passengers.
But, in the end, it is a grimace and bear it type situation. So I do. I came too far to let a bunch of malcontents ruin my experience.

7 comments:

  1. I don't have nuttin to say except, 'wut up'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Should have used a period or '?' mark? 'Wut up'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. PSS: I just whipped myself for making a mistake on your web site. Shame on me. Slap, Slap.

    Ain't nobody reading no more anyhow. Swish, Swish. Shame on me.

    Am I talking to myself or WUT?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If U answer that ?, U R cheating. Shame on U.

    I have nutin to do so I do wut I do which is just a bunch of DO DO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Youre fine. I was wondering if you were still out there. Im working at putting this thing into book form, and I will be incorporating some of your, and others comments and feedback into the text, unless you say I cant. and then I will anyway lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. U can use my quotes if you give all of the proceeds to the poor.

    Help me purchase some pedicabs (cabs on 3 wheel bicycle) in the Philippines to help some people to make some money to feed each other with.

    I can tell U or anyone that wants to help them where to send your money to over there by Western Union.

    I noticed that U have 18 members now. Do U reckon that at least one of them could help them.

    An 8 year old child wanted to know why God made him poor. Let's show him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to test this and see if I am breaking the guideline, so here goes. Do not use the comment if U do not have COMPASSION, the gift that God gave me since I was 4 years old or younger.

    FEED THE POOR
    PO Box 2267
    Savannah, Ga. 31402

    Thank you to those that use this comment.

    ReplyDelete